If this is an emergency, an imminent threat to public health and safety, or for additional assistance, please call the Oil and Gas Division or the Department of Environmental Quality at the numbers below.

North Dakota Industrial Commission
Oil and Gas Division

North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality
Environmental Health Section
701-328-5210 or 1-800-472-2121

North Dakota Emergency Management
24-Hour Hotline: 1-800-472-2121

Oilfield related incident on Oil and Gas regulated facility

(Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) exempt oilfield related incident)

The NDIC Oil and Gas Division “Report Oilfield Incident” form is only for Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) exempt releases in the oilfield. This will generally include:

  • Produced fluids such as crude oil, water, oil/water emulsion, drilling fluids and cuttings, well completion, treatment, and stimulation fluids, basic sediment and water and other tank bottoms from storage facilities and vessels and impoundments that hold product and exempt waste, workover wastes, packing fluids, pipe scale and other solids, hydrocarbon-bearing soil, pigging wastes from gathering lines, and oil reclamation wastes.
  • Gasses removed from the production stream, gas plant dehydration and sweetening wastes, and cooling tower blowdown.
  • Notification requirements for the Oil and Gas Division can be found in the Rules and Regulations.

General Environmental Incident or non-exempt oilfield incident

The ND Department of Environmental Quality “Report Environmental Incident” form should be used for any environmental incident or release that is not exempt under the RCRA oilfield exemptions. This will generally include:

  • Releases of crude oil or natural gas after ownership transfer from truck transport or transportation pipelines are not exempt under RCRA oilfield exemptions.
  • Unused fracturing fluids and acids, painting wastes, refinery wastes, used lubrication or hydraulic oils, waste solvents, caustic or acid cleaners, boiler cleaning wastes, sanitary wastes, pesticide wastes, and radioactive tracer wastes.

Other types of environmental release:

  • Specific minimum quantities for mandatory reporting of spills have not been established.
  • All incidents which may potentially have adverse effected or impact human health or the environment.
  • All incidents which may potentially result in pollution or safety, waters of the state, either surface water or ground water, or other impacts to the environment, must be reported.
  • All substances are included, not just "hazardous materials." Recent examples that a person may not normally think of as having a potential impact to the environment, include "nontoxic" substances such as molasses or salt. These may not be immediately harmful to human health, but they may impact aquatic life or soil fertility.
  • Sometimes an environmental incident does not actually result in a release to the environment but should still be reported. Examples might include the loss of a sealed radiation source or a traffic accident involving hazardous chemicals, even if the containers did not break open.